Friday, October 26, 2012

Venison Meatballs Recipe


Venison Meatballs



Well, this is my first time posting a recipe. One of the guys I follow over on Twitter is a real chef. I am not, but I figure some folks might be interested in my cooking adventures anyway. I am an amateur, but I do love to cook!

I started with 2.5 lbs of ground venison from the doe I got the first day of the season.



I then added a liberal amount of Worcester sauce. It adds a nice flavor and the moisture is important because venison is very lean.





I then added a tablespoon of salt.



I then took one and a half cups of seasoned Italian breadcrumbs. My grandma used stale Italian bread and her own seasonings, but I just don't have time for that. But I do use her trick of adding milk to the breadcrumbs. This is very important because it adds moisture so the breadcrumbs don't dry out the meatballs. About a half cup will do it. Then mix the breadcrumbs and milk together with a spoon before combining with the venison.


Add two large eggs.




Then Italian spices. I broke my rule of no garlic during hunting season because I have hunter's toothpaste and hunter's breath mints. I wanted real meatballs. I added basil, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano.



The next step is to mix it all together by hand, and then form the meatballs. I have a nice pizza stone that I use for my meatballs. I spray the pizza stone with olive oil Pam (but you could use regular olive oil in a spritzer) and I also spray the meatballs lightly with the Pam (or olive oil from the spritzer) as well.



The final step is to bake on 350 for around 15 minutes, and then flip them over and continue for another 15 minutes. (I checked after 10 minutes on the second side and they were cooked through). Just add them to your marinara sauce and you are good to go!

If you are like my grandma, you basically deep fry these in olive oil, but I am on weight watchers. This recipe yielded a meatball that was two weight watchers points per meatball, and they were AMAZING. Moist and flavorful.

Enjoy!

The Suburban Hunter.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Henry! And a great website you have there giving people a heads up where public lands are! I am going to tweet it to my followers now. Have a great day (and if you are in the path of the storm stay safe!!)

      Delete

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected